David Cloud's mistaken view on KJB words

King James Bible information (Moderators only)

David Cloud's mistaken view on KJB words

Postby bibleprotector » 26 May 2014, 23:19

David Cloud wrote, “I have become aware of a movement among King James Bible defenders to exalt 17th-century British English to the level of divine holiness. ... I have been amazed to find articles warning about this type of change, with the claim that this is adding to or diminishing from God’s Words. ... My friends, this is pure nutcase ... It is nonsensical and makes all King James Bible defenders look ridiculous. The only difference between “neighbour” and “neighbor” is that one is British spelling while the other is American. These are the same exact words with the same exact meaning. The only difference between “ensample” and “example” is that one is 17th-century spelling and the other is 20th-century. The words are the same.”

I uphold the authentic changes in the presentation and spelling of the King James Bible that have taken place after 1611, and so I do not exalt 17th century English.

But we should not just accept new spelling, or present day standards. This is because meaning can be changed by spelling changes, because some spelling changes which are sneaked in modern King James Version editions are (perhaps intentional) meaning changes.

The following is a few selections from a list where David Cloud claims are just spelling changes:

afterwards afterward
alway always
astonied astonished
broided braided
ensample example
inhabiters inhabitants
inclose enclose
intreat entreat
throughly thoroughly

I can show (look in the full Oxford Dictionary!) that each one of the above pairs are different words with different meanings. I discuss most of these words briefly in my booklet called “Glistering Truths”. You can read it here: http://www.bibleprotector.com/glistering_truths.pdf

David Cloud is mistaken to think that changing those words would not matter. Such changes do matter because they are different words with distinct meanings.

Changing words does change the truth of the KJB, so we have to be aware about this issue!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

AFTERWARD/AFTERWARDS
“Afterward” has a wide amount of meanings, including, in time following, subsequently, whereas “afterwards” means at a later time, subsequently. Thus, “afterward” may involve something which is a process, but “afterwards” some specific thing.

ALWAY/ALWAYS
The word “always” means “at every time” and “on every occasion”. Whereas the word “alway” means “all the time” and “perpetually”. For example, Jesus said, “lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matthew 28:20b). Yet He also said, “but me ye have not always.” (John 12:8b). This is not a contradiction, since John is describing Jesus’ personal physical presence. Even though Jesus is not “always” on Earth by His own physical person, yet He is “alway” with His people on the Earth by the Holy Ghost.

ASTONIED/ASTONISHED
“Astonied” appears to mean a state of bewilderment (the objective), whereas “astonished” conveys a sense of wonderment toward a particular thing (the subjective).

ENSAMPLE/EXAMPLE
An “example” is an outward sample, while an “ensample” is one that can be internalised through specific personal knowledge of the object looked at.

ENTREAT/INTREAT
“Intreat” means to supplicate, while “entreat” means to treat.
Site Admin

Return to King James Bible