Complexity of Bible English: verbs

King James Bible information (Moderators only)

Complexity of Bible English: verbs

Postby bibleprotector » 27 May 2014, 18:00

BUILD, BUILDED, BUILT is like RING, RANG, RUNG.

There are various unusual words or grammatical forms in the Bible. In order to study this out more completely, we should attempt to understand the grammar of the Bible.

Theory of conjugation attempting to list present, past and past participle of irregular verbs.

The first word, the present form of the verb, is what is being done right now, like, I do.

The second word is the simple past of what I have been doing, as in, I did.

The third word is the competed or perfect form of what has been done, that is, I have done.

The following list is not in every case strictly from the Bible, but is an attempt to list the sequence of conjugation generally in line with what is found in the Bible.

bear, bare/bore, borne
begin, began, begun
bid, bade, bidden
break, brake/broke, broken
burn, burned, burnt
buy, bought, bought
come, came, come
cut, cut, cut
drink, drank, drunk/drunken
drive, drave/drove, driven
earn, earned, earned (earnt)
eat, ate, eaten
fight, fought, fought
fly, flied/flew, flown
forget, forgot, forgotten
forsake, forsook, forsaken
get, got, gotten
give, gave, given
have, had, had
learn, learned/learnt, learnt
make, made, made
pay, paid/payed, paid
read (= reed), read (= red), read (= red)
ride, rode, ridden
ring, rang, rung
run, ran, run
say/says, said, said
sing, sang, sung
swim, swam, swum
take, took, taken
tear, tare/tore, torn
think, thought, thought

I want to point out the following possible sequence:

build, builded, built

As we continue to investigate the precision and accuracy of the words of the King James Bible, we come to better understand the complexity and perfection which is there.

We are, as it were, unlocking the Creator's secrets, and again, that which has been hid is now made manifest.

It should be clear to any reader of the Authorized English Bible that each word is used today in the standard edition quite properly and orderly.

On examination, I have found a pattern in the use of "builded", where I note that the word is being used with the specific meaning of "constructed" by labour. (I suggest that the emphasis is on the process.)

Whereas "built" has the wider meaning, such as made, formed, constructed, created, etc.

The point is that while we are all learning, and yet discovering more marvels, we leave far behind those who are languishing in the mistaken notion that a specific form like "builded" is of no significance when compared to "built".

The formula then is that while "built" could possibly be substituted for "builded", "builded" cannot always be substituted for (all the uses of) "built". (We even get the idea of this from the OED.)
Site Admin

Return to King James Bible